Through her late mother’s enchanted diary, Katherine receives warning to keep hidden her otherworldly ability to perform arcana, a magic fueled by the power of the sun. Any misstep could mean ruin—and not just for her family name. The Order of the Eternal Sun is everywhere—hunting for those like her, able to feed on arcana with only a touch of the hand.
But society intrigue can be just as perilous as the Order. The machinations of the fashionable elite are a constant threat, and those who covet Katherine’s arcana, seeking the power of her birthright, could be hiding behind the façade of every suitor—even the darkly handsome Earl of Thornewood.
With so much danger and suspicion, can she give her heart to the one who captivates her, or is he just another after her power?
Available to purchase on
- AMAZON -
Jessica Leake is author of Arcana, a historical fantasy with a heavy dose of romance, and The Order of the Eternal Sun, the next book in the series to be released summer of 2016. She writes every chance she gets, which is basically just during bedtime or whenever the kids are in preschool since she's a stay-at-home mom to three beautiful children under the age of 4 (with another on the way!). She loves blending different genres in her books, but almost everything she writes has to have an element of fantasy and romance. What's life without love? She's represented by Brianne Johnson of Writers House, and she lives with her husband, 3 children, and 2 dogs in Greenville, SC. She invites you to visit her online at jessicaleake.com.
1. Favorite quote: Well, if I’m being philosophical, then my favorite quote is: “Little by little, one travels far.” –from J.R.R. Tolkein; but I absolutely adore anything the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey says—she’s hilarious, but she can also be really wise, like with this gem: “All life is a series of problems which we must try to solve.”
2. Favorite book: This is such a tough one for a bibliophile! I could list favorites from my childhood, favorites in high school, college…but I’ll just stick with a recent favorite: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Killer racehorses—such a cool concept.
3. Favorite author: It varies year-to-year, but I’d say Robin McKinley is consistently one of my favorites.
4. Favorite soda: I’m more of a sweet tea type of girl, but when I get a craving for soda, I love Dr. Pepper.
5. Favorite ice cream: I get made fun of because I’m so boring with this! Chocolate—anything chocolate :).
6. Favorite season: I’m a child of autumn, so I’m most drawn to fall—the smell of burning leaves, hot chocolate, tall boots, cute scarves—love everything about it!
7. Favorite movie: The Last Unicorn
8. Favorite country you want to visit: So many! Basically all of Europe, but particularly Ireland and Italy.
9. Favorite comic book character: Storm from X-Men
10. Favorite flower: Peonies
This is one of the first interactions between Katherine and Lord Thornewood:
My eyes widen. Surely he couldn’t be flirting with me. But then why does my pulse suddenly jump as he looks at me with his dark eyes? “Is it not true the fairer sex, by their very nature, should smell pleasantly?”
“You answer a question with a question. How very diplomatic of you. But you are lucky tonight, Miss Sinclair. I feel very generous.” He grins, and the look is so rakish, I remember the words of my mother’s letter.
I stiffen. How easily I let myself be taken in by him. He is exactly the sort of man my mother warned me about, of this I am sure.
“Have I offended you?” he asks, but his face reveals not a shred of contrition. “I shouldn’t be surprised. You young debutantes are all just a bundle of emotions in pretty packaging.”
“Are we indeed? I dare say it’s assertions like that which result in ambitious mamas parading their carefully groomed daughters before unappreciative men.”
A spark of amusement appears in his dark eyes. “You seek to prove me wrong then?”
“Perhaps if I had any interest in the game, I would trouble myself to take on such an endeavor. Unfortunately, I do not."
Currently reading this book and loving it! Watch for my review coming soon...
February 1--cherylbbookblog | Puddletown Reviews
February 2--Just Commonly
February 3--Singing Librarian Books
February 4--Katie's Clean Book Collection
February 5--Reading Is My SuperPower
February 6--Red Headed Book Lady | A Holland Reads
Comments are closed.
Bringing you your next favorite clean read...
Need a good book to read? Check here... Anything from regency, romance, historical fiction, contemporary...
Learn more about how I rate the books I read HERE.
Follow the adult reader blog via email.
How to comment on the blog due to weird theme issues:
-Notify me of new comments to this post by email
Need to search the site? Use the search engine below...