About the Book
Life in Abney, Texas, is predictable and safe--until the night a massive solar flare wipes out all modern technology.
Shelby Sparks, novelist and single mom, had one goal: to provide for her diabetic son. In the wake of this global disaster, her mission hasn't changed. Only now, medication is a priceless commodity and the future resembles an apocalyptic nightmare.
Max Berkman and Shelby were once sweethearts, but he lost his chance at claiming her love years ago. When the abrupt loss of power ushers him into a leadership role, he rises to the occasion. But his highest priority--to keep Shelby and her son safe--could prove to be the biggest challenge of all.
As the brilliant northern lights give way to deep shadows, Max and Shelby's faith will be tested like never before. Only one rule remains: Find a way to survive.
In this first book in an eerily plausible dystopian series, a memorable cast of characters must navigate a familiar world thrown into chaos.
About the Author
Guest Post: Heroes and Heroines of Dystopian Fiction
My upcoming release, Deep Shadows, is a dystopian story. These are tales centered around a dramatic change in society, major what if scenarios. They are stories about relationships and how they survive or crumble when what we’ve feared, as a society, occurs. They’re stories of faith and hope in the most desperate of times. And the major characters in these stories are a bit different!
- Are usually “reluctant heroes.” They don’t seek the spotlight and don’t want to be the one in charge. But when things fall apart, they step into the role where they’re needed.
- Have unusual skills. Usually those are survival skills. They know how to find things that you need to survive. They know how to get by without their cell phone, Google, and GPS.
- Are loyal. They might not be the strongest or the bravest, but they genuinely care about their family and friends, and they’re willing to do anything to honor their promises.
- Are adaptable. In a dystopian world everything is turned upside down. Heroes are able to adjust quickly. Instead of asking “why” they focus on “what we need to do now.” They understand the time to grieve over what’s been lost is later. The thing to do now is to be strong for friends/family/neighbors.
- Have an abiding faith. Despite the odds, the bleak turn of events, the seemingly desperate future, heroes and heroines in a Christian dystopian novel believe that God is still in control. Do they struggle? Sure. Do they doubt? Sometimes. But in the end, they lead others not just through a crumbling world but on a journey of faith.
Deep Shadows is the first book in my upcoming Remnant Series. It’s a significant change from the Amish books I’ve previously published, and for me this journey began with a few questions:
Would I know how to survive if the technology I use every day disappeared?
Would I be strong, physically and emotionally, to care for my family?
Would my faith, my belief in God’s care and provide, remain strong?
Deep Shadows is a journey into fast paced, unexpected journey through a world turned topsy-turvy. I hope it’s a journey that you’ll take with me.
Watch for a full review coming soon!