Genre: Historical, Romance, Fantasy
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
Number of pages: 268
A romantic, suspenseful, genre-bending debut set in Edwardian London.
Amid the sumptuous backdrop of the London season in 1905, headstrong Katherine Sinclair must join the ranks of debutantes vying for suitors. Unfortunately for Katherine, she cannot imagine anything more loathsome—or dangerous. To help ease her entrance into society, Katherine’s family has elicited the assistance of the Earl of Thornewood, a friend and London’s most eligible bachelor, to be her constant companion at the endless fetes and balls. But upon her arrival in London, Katherine realizes there will be more to this season than just white gowns and husband hunting.
But society intrigue can be just as perilous as the Order. The machinations of the fashionable elite are a constant threat, and those who covet Katherine’s arcana, seeking the power of her birthright, could be hiding behind the façade of every suitor—even the darkly handsome Earl of Thornewood.
With so much danger and suspicion, can she give her heart to the one who captivates her, or is he just another after her power?
- AMAZON -
2. Favorite book: This is such a tough one for a bibliophile! I could list favorites from my childhood, favorites in high school, college…but I’ll just stick with a recent favorite: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Killer racehorses—such a cool concept.
3. Favorite author: It varies year-to-year, but I’d say Robin McKinley is consistently one of my favorites.
4. Favorite soda: I’m more of a sweet tea type of girl, but when I get a craving for soda, I love Dr. Pepper.
5. Favorite ice cream: I get made fun of because I’m so boring with this! Chocolate—anything chocolate :).
6. Favorite season: I’m a child of autumn, so I’m most drawn to fall—the smell of burning leaves, hot chocolate, tall boots, cute scarves—love everything about it!
7. Favorite movie: The Last Unicorn
8. Favorite country you want to visit: So many! Basically all of Europe, but particularly Ireland and Italy.
9. Favorite comic book character: Storm from X-Men
10. Favorite flower: Peonies
My eyes widen. Surely he couldn’t be flirting with me. But then why does my pulse suddenly jump as he looks at me with his dark eyes? “Is it not true the fairer sex, by their very nature, should smell pleasantly?”
“You answer a question with a question. How very diplomatic of you. But you are lucky tonight, Miss Sinclair. I feel very generous.” He grins, and the look is so rakish, I remember the words of my mother’s letter.
I stiffen. How easily I let myself be taken in by him. He is exactly the sort of man my mother warned me about, of this I am sure.
“Have I offended you?” he asks, but his face reveals not a shred of contrition. “I shouldn’t be surprised. You young debutantes are all just a bundle of emotions in pretty packaging.”
“Are we indeed? I dare say it’s assertions like that which result in ambitious mamas parading their carefully groomed daughters before unappreciative men.”
A spark of amusement appears in his dark eyes. “You seek to prove me wrong then?”
“Perhaps if I had any interest in the game, I would trouble myself to take on such an endeavor. Unfortunately, I do not."
February 2--Just Commonly
February 3--Singing Librarian Books
February 4--Katie's Clean Book Collection
February 5--Reading Is My SuperPower
February 6--Red Headed Book Lady | A Holland Reads